I mentioned several times throughout the planning process I mentioned all the crafty items I was purchasing for DIY decor at our wedding. Well, it worked. I spent HOURS painting and writing with chalkboard markers but it all looked wonderful, the pictures were framed, signs hung, and banners proudly displayed. But now that the wedding is over, I do NOT need dozens of chalkboards, Mr & Mrs signs, bubbles or stripey straws laying around the house (and my groom would prefer it if this was not the case!).
Another bride-to-be (Happy Wedding Week, Adrienne) approached me and my friend, Valerie about having a “Bridal Yard Sale” here in Charlotte after all of our weddings are finished up. This is a spectacular idea and I cannot wait to share the goodies with other brides who are knee-deep in planning. So, I’m sharing a preview now of some of the things I will have for sale (Southwest VA friends, I’m headed your way at the end of the week and am happy to bring items to you if you see something you like). We haven’t set the date for the Yard Sale but I will keep you updated! You’ll want to mark your calendar for this collaborative and creative day!
1. Tree Stump (used for sweetheart wedding cake – but could be used as a sign or other decoration) – $12
2. Mr. & Mrs. signs tied with navy ribbon – $15 (for both)
3. Wedding sign with arrow $10 – SOLD
4. Mailbox (used to collect cards at wedding – can easily be sanded and repainted (or change initial)) – $15
5. Please Leaf Your Thumbprint sign & frame (used for thumbprint tree at wedding) – $5
6. (4) colors of thumbprint ink for Thumbprint sign – $5
7. Large chalkboard with dark gray frame – $28 – SOLD
8. Window Frame Chalkboard (frame can be painted) – $18- SOLD
9. Pig shaped chalkboard (we used this for our menu) – $12
10. Heart Shaped Slate hanging sign – $3- SOLD
11. Rectangular Shaped Slate hanging sign – $3- SOLD
12. (2) Matching Slate hanging signs – $5 – SOLD
13. (20) Chalkboard picks (can be stuck in flower arrangements, buckets, etc.) – $15- SOLD
14. Hanging chalkboard sign – $7- SOLD
15. Easel (works great with the window frame chalkboard) – $12
16. Burlap & gold table cloth – $7
17. “I do” something blue for the bottom of brides shoes – $3
18. 50+ mini bubble bottles (leftovers from what we used for our exit) – $10
19. Small “W” (will stand on it’s own – about 3-4″ tall) – $3
20. Ampersand sign (would look cute hanging between chairs or for pics) – $9
21. Large (18″) “W” for decorating or photos (can easily be repainted) – $13
22. Lime Green Striped Straws (20) – $4
23. Navy Striped Straws (3 packs of 20) – $10
25. Love of my life sign – $13 – SOLD
26. Elegant picture frame – $7- SOLD
27. Best Day Ever + picture frame – $7
28. White Threshold Picture frame with rope pattern – $6
29. Large black easel (great for the BIG chalkboard) – $15- SOLD
30. “Just Married” banner (2 pieces) – $15- SOLD
Like what you see? Just think – there are at least 4 more brides that will be participating in this yard sale with similar goodies up for grabs!
I discovered that Anthropologie now has a wedding line – BHLDN – and not just for brides, but bridesmaids, gifts, mother of the bride, lingerie, and decor! I was totally entranced upon making this amazing discovery and spent hours flipping through internet pages of awesomesauce. Seriously, if my wedding wasn’t 17 days away, I’d be searching here for the perfect pieces!
One of my FAVORITE dresses is the Luella, but I also love the Swan (which happens to be on major sale)! That bow! I die! Check out all the dresses for the bride from BHLDN.
I spent the majority of my time on the gifts page, digging through gorgeousness and swooning over all the options. I am in love with this vintage monogram kerchief! What a great gift for mom(s), grandmothers, or even your bridesmaids! I couldn’t decide what I loved most on the decor page, so I’m including a sample of some of the items. Everything is adorable and fairly reasonably priced. Anthropologie always has the neatest stuff, so I was pleased to see that BHLDN carried that over into their wedding line. So, set aside an hour or two and go dig around on this completely adorable website. If you’re planning a wedding in the near future and don’t want to be super traditional, this is a great place to find your goods.
Happy Wednesday! Oh, and did I mention, only 17 itsy, bitsy days until THE BIG ONE? eeeep!
Lots of people have asked me where I’ve found things over the past few months that I plan to use for the wedding or post wedding (such as my new monogrammed necklace!). Mostly, I can attribute my finds to searches on Etsy that started out of boredom and happened into wonderfulness. Pinterest has also had some good finds, but they typically lead me back to Etsy.
First of all, I found this amazing window-pane chalkboard a while back. We plan to use it at the bar to list out drinks/mixers for the wedding. It came from Splash of Lime, a blog created by a mother/daughter team who finds items that we all want and fixes them up and re-sells them at half the cost of which you could find elsewhere. (Special thanks to my most-specialist MOH who picked it up for me!). I also snatched up the sign in front of it from GroopDealz which offers items at low-cost for a short period of time (hence the “snatching”). LW is not a huge fan of the sign, so we’ll see if it actually gets used but either way, I consider it a good find!
My next most favorite find, were hangers for my super-sweet bridesmaids. An early thank you for all the time and work they have already put in. I seriously have the most thoughtful group of girls that will be standing by my side very soon! They came from DeLovely Details (an Etsy seller) and were a hit!
One of my next favorite finds, this this simple needlepoint framed cross-stitch. It’s message makes me smile. I do think that I’ll end up changing out the frame or at least painting it. It was also an Etsy find, and although it was one of a kind, the shop has some other items that are worth taking a peek at.
Last week, I found a tree-stump cake holder which will proudly display our mini Bride & Groom cake (don’t worry, we’ll have delicious desserts for the guests, as well). I was shocked to find it at Michael’s and for only $14.99 when somewhere else was trying to charge almost 3 times that to RENT one. If you have the time, and ability to be crafty, it can certainly save you a pretty penny in wedding planning. I have a fear that I’m just going to end up with really full craft drawers, and have all of these pretty ideas for years to come. (Any volunteers to come do crafts?!).
My last, and most favorite find, is my new monogrammed necklace with my brand-spankin’ new initials as of 8-17-13. I am dying to wear this beauty. I had looked at more costly versions (Moon & Lola) in the past but never splurged. Thank goodness! I found this gem on Etsy for a steal!
Happy Friday – and happy LONG weekend!