Sometimes I get tired of eating meat and veggies for dinner, and my husband tells me that I can’t just eat Zuppa Toscana or Shrimp & Grits (I would totally do this) for dinner every night, so I have to find new recipes now and again. These stuffed peppers are incredibly delicious and filling – and EASY!
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 red onion
1 TBS garlic
1 cup quinoa
1 pack large portabella mushrooms (I get the 5 pack – it makes for leftovers)
1 TBS olive oil
1 cup spinach
Cheese of your choice (I used Gouda this past week)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Wash your mushrooms off and then put them on a baking sheet (stem up!) and drizzle with olive oil, bake for 10 minutes
- While mushrooms are baking, chop peppers and onion and sauté with garlic, pepper and any other spices you like
- Cook quinoa (1 cup with 2 cups water): bring to a boil, cover and reduce to low heat for 10-15 minutes
- Mix spinach in with other veggies (will only take a minute or two for it to wilt down)
- In a separate bowl, mix 1/2 quinoa and the sautéed veggies
- Put spoonfuls of mixture on mushrooms and cover with cheese
- Bake for another 8 minutes on 350
- Serve immediately
*You will probably have extra mushrooms (save them for lunch/dinner!) and also left over quinoa. I like to mix in a spoonful of cilantro and some lime juice with the quinoa and serve it as a side with another meal!
Don’t worry about this not being enough food for you, or worried that it’s not meat. Portabellas are very meaty and filling. I like to sauté some extra spinach to serve with them or steam any other kind of veggie. Healthy and delicious!
PS – don’t forget to check out the BIG GIVEAWAY happening now!